Saturday, September 10, 2016

What is This Feeling

This week of teaching between me and the kids was 15% "Oh, you're getting the language!", and 85% "ENGLISH ONLY! Shhhhh.... Listen to teacher", which eventually turned into staring down the kids until they noticed. It is a battle field! I think it was Thursday when I was trying to get them to quiet down, it wasn't working, and then they opened a cupboard and started to take toys out when I just froze with wide eyes and thought, "What am I doing here?". Might turn into a criminal. Who knows? Probably not though, it's only one kid that I really want to lock the door on. 

Anyways, yesterday one of the little girls was being really shy (she's usually really gregarious). I asked her what was wrong and she wanted her mom, so I just stroked her hair and she gave me a hug. Then she wouldn't leave my side, so I sat with her and she played with my necklace and we drew farm animals. She is so darling! Then another little girl came over to draw and they both know English way more than I thought they did. 

My lesson yesterday was a "Pirate Treasure Hunt". We made eye patches and they had to find clues that led to cookies. It really only worked with the last class, but that's ok! I have one class during the day that is obsessed with the Hokey Pokey. We are probably going to sing that way too much, but it is so fun! They think it's hilarious. After school one of my students ran up to me and gave me her arts and crafts project. Aw! And another boy gave me something he made (a paper box) when we were drawing in class on Thursday. Yesterday when I was cleaning up everything after the kids were gone, I picked up the farm animal drawings and I thought to myself, "Maybe I should keep this.. Nah. But when I leave I'm not going to see these kids again.. What?!". I actually got a little teary! I thought these kids were demons but turns out I kinda love them anyways.









Yo ho!

2 comments:

  1. Oh the joy and challenges of teaching! Consequences for misbehavior...works every time. Think of a consequence that would make that misbehaving child wish they had followed the rules. I've tried many different things from simply changing where they sit to making them write an apology or when we use beanbags they might lose that privilege if they are misbehaving. Get the idea? Good luck! Hope this suggestion helps! Also, have you made the rules clear? If not, think of just a few rules that are important to you and follow through with a consequence if the rule is broken. Trust me, they will test you to see if you're serious but when they see that you do follow through, they will start following them without any problems. This really helps keep order in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Isn't it rewarding to teach these little ones?!? Those little hugs and gifts really make you think...I am doing something good in the world :)

    ReplyDelete