Sunday, December 11, 2016

A Day in Denmark

Ooook our last vacation!!!! We got up super early Saturday morning and took a taxi to the Kaunas airport. I know, it took us four months to take advantage of the airport in Kaunas. Geez. BUT it only flies to London, Copenhagen, and a few other places.

First of all, Danish people are so nice! And everyone speaks English. Hallelujah! We got there around seven in the morning, so we chilled at Starbucks. Turns out, they don't use the euro system, so I had to exchange my currency to crowns. I'll tell you what- it was very confusing. A euro will get you seven crowns. What an awkward number! I misjudged the price of everything I bought (lol). It did look cool though. My first instinct was to freak out at the price of everything in the stores. Talk about the struggle!



After a while we decided to head out and see Copenhagen. We took the metro; luckily the city is small enough there were only two and they were straight forward. As soon as we emerged from the subway, we were blown away! It's so beautiful! The architecture never gets old. As we tried to find a Christmas market (apparently there are multiple), we stumbled upon a cathedral and saw some cool alleys. We went in a circle and realized the market is right by the station- we just went the wrong way! 









In the market I decided I was hungry, and someone said Belgian waffles so I picked that one. The vendor offered me some pancake balls. I asked if they were filled with anything and he said, "Just with love". Well how could I not buy it after that? Also he said they were a Danish tradition so I wanted to "experience the culture". Yummy! 

Pancakes, jam, powdered sugar. YES
There were two things I wanted to see here. A pier that is all over Pinterest and The Little Mermaid. To our surprise (and fortunately), it was right behind the Christmas market! The buildings were so colorful. I loved walking down the pier and just enjoying the view. But also I took a TON of pictures so you are seeing the filtered version.









Ah man it was just so cool!!!! We walked back through the Christmas market and ate before deciding to find the Little Mermaid. Google maps said it was a half hour walk, but it definitely didn't feel that long. I also think we were super lucky because I was leading the way even though I had only checked the map once... Hehe but we found it no sweat! Of course, the path is straight until you turn to get to the park with the statue, so maybe it can be considered a simple path. We somehow got on an island in the park right by the statue and ended up taking a scenic route, but it was so worth it! I was reminded of Ireland, a little bit. Also we're gonna pretend that we saw Sweden. 


I don't know if you guys know this, but.. This is the original, inspired-Disney's-Little-Mermaid, authentic LITTLE MERMAID. I remember watching a video about this in High School and thinking, "I wish I could go there but probably never will". Check it out! *high five-ing myself* 
I wanted to see this and I also really wanted to pose like it, because there is no better way in my mind. 


"But Daddy I love him!" ;)

Beached whale or mermaid? We may never know...  lol
We just walked around and enjoyed Copenhagen after that. At one point we did find our hostel, which turned out to be really really really nice. Paris surprised us with a hotel and paid for the majority of it! How sweet is she?? I'll tell you, the sweetest!!! The beds were so comfy.... 
We took naps and then decided to go get dinner at the giant mall next door. Well, everything was super expensive, so I was going to sit out. But then Cameron said she wanted to pay for me as a Christmas gift! I can't even explain how grateful I was. If you haven't guessed it I'm pretty much broke at this point haha..... #NoRegrets
Anyways, after dinner we went in search for a journal for Cameron. We stopped in a bookshop and I found a "Wreck This Journal", which I've wanted for a long time now. I was admiring it and then Desteny bought it for me, as a Christmas gift! I probably sound like a spoiled brat right now but I'm only saying this to drive a point that my roomies are such sweet, caring, and awesome people. I'm so beyond grateful that I've been able to spend these last four months with them. They are the best!!!!!!
We went out to find more Christmas markets. The city lights were breathtaking, and we stumbled upon Tivoli, an amusement that was decked with... boughs of holly. hahaha ok no they were decked out with Christmas lights! Desteny and Cameron went in, but alas it was twelve bucks that I didn't have. Plus, I hadn't had water all day so Paris was an angel and went back to the hostel with me. Water never tasted so good. 
We're all super nostalgic and sad that our last vacation is over but it has been a good time! 
Now we are back in snowy Kaunas.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Linz! I started to read this entry eons ago and forgot I got interrupted and never finished. I'm sorry you've been so tight on money and I didn't realize. I can't do much about it now, seeing as you're in a plane headed home. Super duper excited to see you though!

    ReplyDelete