Sunday, December 25, 2016

Home for Christmas

I've been back for almost a week now. I still feel jet lagged but it's getting better by the day! Let me tell you about our adventure getting home.

My flight itinerary was Vilnius to Frankfurt to San Fran to SLC. Dima (our coordinator) picked us up the night before because our flight left at 6 am and he didn't want to be up all night driving. So we stayed the night at the airport. On the bright side, we had pleeeenty of time for security and checking our luggage. We said goodbye to Paris there, because she had a different flight to Sweden. *more tears*

We landed in Frankfurt no sweat and there I said goodbye to Kenon, who had a completely different gate (she flew to JFK). *more tears* P.S. the Frankfurt airport is HUGE. Our layover there was about 3 hours. But then they delayed our flight, which was not good at all because our layover in San Fran was short as it was. I'm not too pleased with Lufthansa.. But then again I was really stressed out haha. Our flight went up over Greenland, and down through Canada. I got a peek out the window once and all I could see was ice! So crazy! Luckily Des, Cam, and I sat together and cried some more, slept, and watched movies.
At one point I asked a flight attendant if there was a possibility if the people with connecting flights could get off first. She smiled as if to explain it to a 5 year old, "That just wouldn't work. We can help you rebook your flight, though". Well, no thank you I WANT TO CATCH MY FLIGHT. Since apparently I would get no help, as soon as we landed I was in the zone. No time to take in America, I had a plane to catch! We had to go through customs, which miraculously didn't take long because a lady randomly guided me to another line and I was up front (literally she had no idea I was in a hurry).
Next was baggage claim, and I was told again that we would miss our flight but they could "help us rebook it". Grrrrr I wanted to catch my flight, not miss it and get another one. My goodness. When they told me I was going to miss it I just thought, "Watch me!". haha stressed. out. Well, I watched the clocked as our baggage was coming out. 2:22.... 2:23... Our flight started boarding at 2:30. I started to think I was going to miss it, so I texted my parents just to let them know. But wait! My roommates rushed over and said there was another baggage claim for our flight. I ran over, immediately spotted and grabbed my luggage, then made a beeline for the connecting flights terminal.
Sad to say I left my group in the dust. But then again, it was every man for himself. Plus, I was hoping I could get to the gate and convince them to wait just a few minutes. The baggage check station people were much better. I was panting as they scanned it and I asked if I would make it. They were like, "Yeah, but go! Hurry; you got this!". It took me about 2 minutes to realize I had to go through security again... So I scurried into line where the ticket guy took a long time, just staring at my passport, I swear. Eventually he explained that I had the wrong kind of ticket so he had to check it manually....? I don't know but he let me through.
I'm anxiously waiting in line for security, when a lady turns around and says, "Who you like to go ahead of me?" and then four other guys offered too. Whaaaaaaaa????? This would not happen in Europe and it was awesome!!!! But so weird. The people were so nice! I just threw everything into a bin and they sorted it for me, and instructed me on what to do. I was through in record time. (Thank the heavens). I saw my roommates back aways in line. As soon as my shoes and coat and backpack were through, I scooped it all into my arms and started running. Now, that lasted about thirty seconds because I was so parched and stiff and out of shape.. But I ended up running past my gate! hahaha luckily I caught myself at the next one and turned around.
Obviously they wouldn't hold the flight for my friends. I got on and realized how rude it was of me to leave them behind, so I was frantically praying that they would make it. Desteny did at the last minute! Turns out, Cameron wasn't even on our flight, hers was an hour later. So she called us and we said our goodbyes. I was so disappointed I could say goodbye to her. I was so exhausted and adrenalized though that I couldn't think straight.

The rest is history! I made it home and now I'm just trying to get back on a normal sleeping schedule. Merry Christmas!
Frankfurt to San Fran

Boredom at its finest ;)

Leaving San Fran!

Landing in SLC

1 comment: