Wednesday, August 17, 2016

First Impressions

First of all, on the overnight flight to Brussels, I could not sleep! Who called it? I did. Finally, at the end of the flight, I managed to rest for an hour. When I woke up, they were cleaning up from breakfast. I was so excited though, breakfast was not on my mind. Since I had an aisle seat in the middle section, I had to sneak to the back of the plane to see out a window. I checked just in time to watch England pass under and then we crossed over France!

Brussels was exciting. As soon as I stepped off the plane, my first thought was: "It's cold". The airport was huge and the second thing that I noticed was the lack of polite smiles. They don't smile! Nobody smiles.... That's going to take some getting used to. Third, everyone looks nice. I don't recall seeing anyone majorly overweight either. There were some chargers that you had to pedal a bike to make them work! The bathrooms were strange. Each stall is more like a room, and the handle to flush is actually a giant button on the wall, and the toilet paper comes out like tissues, it's not on a roll.

Eventually, we boarded our last flight. There was a little girl behind me who was screaming and kicking my seat the entire flight! Luckily I was so tired I slept through it all. My luggage made it, so did I, and we FINALLY (how many days has it been? It feels like foreva) arrived in Lithuania!! My first thought after getting off the plane was, "It's even colder here?!". I might be buying that winter coat sooner than expected! We sat in McDonald's for 2+ hours waiting for the Vilnius girls to get to their apartment, and then we started the drive to Kaunas! I'm mostly surprised at how obvious the soviet influence is. All the buildings are gray and square. But it's actually really cool! I fell asleep on the way there, but it was dark by then so I couldn't see anyways.

Our apartment building is super fun! The elevator is too small to comfortably fit five girls.. And it was a little ghetto. If you've seen Saratov Approach, that's what the building reminded me of! We are in our apartment, and after about five seconds of confusion and slight homesickness, I am so excited!

Also, jet lag is so real.

3 comments:

  1. Oh this is good. This is really really good. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are spreading your wings! Also, don't invite any strange men into your apartment. ;) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you made it!!! I love the way you describe things and paint a picture of what it's like. I'm beyond excited for you!

    ReplyDelete