Thursday, August 18, 2016

Kaunas Krew is Starving

I figured I should maybe mention the girls that I'm in Lithuania with!

I am pretty sure these are the best girls to be with in the whole world. They are so nice, funny, and chill! Our head teacher, Paris, is so nice! And she's already doing so much for us. The other teachers are Kenon, Desteny, and Cameron and I love them already! We are all so excited to be here and we're all on the same level of wanderlust.

Cameron came up with our hashtag, #kaunaskrew. So if any of y'all want to follow all of our posts, just go there!

Our local coordinator, Mama Rasa, is sick, so she couldn't help us today. Unfortunately we didn't get food last night so there was no breakfast. We went to the store around mid-afternoon (I need to check the time more lol). Ok, Europeans really, truly, have NO personal space!!! Even driving! The three feet pedestrian law thing in America does not exist in Lithuania. We were in a parking lot and Kenon almost got hit with a side view mirror because they just cruised on by. It wasn't that bad, though. In the store, you have to pay a euro to get a shopping cart, and then when you put the cart back, you get your euro back!
Their food is so cheap. The famous "Dadus" that I've been reading about (they're cheesecake bars covered in chocolate) are less than a dollar! Woohoo!! We got 16 euros worth of stuff that would've been closer to $30 in Moab. While we were in the produce section, a bunch of people started crowding and they just kept getting closer and closer, and I was just scooting further and further around the island of fruit. Also, I've concluded that I need to learn some Lithuanian because we were told that it's polite to say hello to people (neighbors, store clerks, etc.) but we did not know how today! It was awkward when the lady was checking our food and we just stood there silently. Kenon and I got on the elevator in our apartment building, and then a man got in too. It was the most silent ride in my entire life! And the whole time I'm thinking, "I know NOTHING in Lithuanian! This is not polite!".

We finally got to eat dinner, and lucky my head teacher has a culinary major!! So, dinner was rice, meat, and lettuce.. But it was really good.

We watched She's the Man tonight, and then discussed vacation possibilities! I am so so SO excited about all the places we're going to go! Hopefully tomorrow we'll be able to get our bus passes and then go explore Kaunas a little more. I will try and upload pictures soon!

2 comments:

  1. The whole no personal space thing now makes total sense to why the Europeans in Moab act the way they do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might not know the language, but a smile is known world-wide! ;) ...And so is a sucker-punch! LOL

    ReplyDelete